Thursday 4 February 2016

CONSTRUCTION: QR CODE AND FILM POSTER PROGRESS

Film poster progress and QR code


I have recently been spending a lot of time creating my film poster. It still isn't quite finished, but the more editing I do of it, the more I learn what successful film posters qualities I need to include. Below, I have inserted an image of me working on my poster in todays lesson and my progress so far. 


One important quality I have discovered is a QR code; a machine-readable code consisting of an array of black and white squares, typically used for storing URLs or other information for reading by the camera on a smartphone. QR codes allow consumers/audiences to be able to scan their iPhone or smart phone camera on top of the personalised QR code quickly, efficiently and easily using the app that is either downloadable or permanently on their phone. 

I found this clever idea on the "Insidious" poster when I was researching various film posters. Though "Insidious" is of horror genre, I still fill this feature is relevant for my genre too, and through all my previous research of film posters realised that using a QR code is modern and a new idea for the film industry. Having this easily accessible convention on my poster will attract and address not only my target audience but a wide, variety of people who may not be able to access my films social media platforms. 

Once I have finished making my short film (final product), I will link the final film to my QR code that I will personally customise. I have also decided to create another QR code linking teasers on my social media posts, to a trailer I have created. HERE is the link to my trailer. This will help create a buzz prior to the release of my film, and also attract apprehensive audience members. 

I have also seen this method being used in other Hollywood films, promoting the trailer through use of the QR code to help create attention to the actual release of the film. I have linked an example below where it reads "SCAN QR CODE TO SEE MOVIE TRAILER".



Finally, while editing my poster I have had to leave space for my QR code. When doing this I was interested to whether there was normally a given, routined space. I was really intrigued and interested that in the "Iron Man" poster the QR code was part of the main photography and interlinked within the main design. I found that this was very clever and eye-catching.











1 comment:

  1. You worked well on your film poster in class today and I am pleased with your growing confidence using Photoshop. the design is progressing well as you implement your hand drawn draft (post the sketch) and elicit feedback on issues related to background colour,font choices and finessing the layout.You make astute observations related to engaging audiences via the QR code.

    ReplyDelete